I Already Know What You’re Thinking, French Toast Without Eggs?!
Let me start off by saying that when I decided to go vegan french toast HAD to be something I learned to master. The first couple of times, it didn’t go so well (can’t trust all recipes). But with some practice I was able to come up with a recipe I truly love!
French toast holds a very special place in my heart for two reasons:
- It’s my FAVORITE sweet breakfast item. It trumps pancakes and waffles ANYDAY
- It’s the FIRST thing I learned to cook as a child, my dad would sit me on the counter and let me whisk the eggs, batter the bread, and put it on the pan. (Love my daddy)
That being said, it was very important to me to create a recipe that mimicked my childhood memories.
So you can TRUST, that this recipe aint playin’ games!
- 1 ½ cups almond milk
- 2 tbsp flaxseed mill
- 1 tbsp vanilla protein powder (or flour)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ tbsp maple syrup or agave
- ½ tbsp coconut sugar (or brown sugar)
- 6 Slices Stale Bread (Sourdough or French)
- In a shallow (wide) mixing bowl, combine almond milk, flaxseed, and protein powder. Whisk together and set aside for 5 minutes to thicken.
- Preheat medium non-stick pan, on medium heat, grease with vegan butter or coconut oil
- Add in vanilla extract, cinnamon, maple syrup, and coconut sugar, whisk thoroughly.
- Dip each side of bread in batter for about 20-30 seconds (the dryer/staler your bread, the longer you should let your bread soak).
- Place on greased pan until golden brown on each side!
- Top off with maple syrup, fresh berries, powdered sugar, and ENJOY!